Avis de vacance
Adresse de contact
Welcome to the GMD - Japan Research Laboratory ...
... which is a joint venture between GMD (German National Research Center for Information Technology) and the City of Kitakyushu.
In Germany around 1200 people work in 8 GMD institutes on fields like autonomous intelligent systems, parallel computing, network technology and biomolecular information processing. 70% of GMDs funding is provided by the national government while the remaining 30% are external funds from joint research with industry or other collaborations.
- GMD has been active in Japan for over 20 years now. Beginning of the 90s the establishment of NECs first European research center in GMDs Technopark and joint projects between GMD and NEC, HITACHI and FUJITSU shifted Japan more into the focus of GMDs increasing global orientation.
On the other hand, the City of Kitakyushu, creating a new Science and Research Park was looking to attract a research center of international standards. The common interest of both Kitakyushu City and GMD to further creative research led to the establishment of the GMD-Japan Research Laboratory (GMD-JRL) which started its activities in November 1998 in Kitakyushu.
Current research in GMD-JRL focuses on two fields:
- Robust autonomous systems are rising specific and severe questions about motion control, localization, realtime-aspects, and long-term adaptation. With its special application to underwater vehicles this research field will enable new technologies like the exploration of seabed topology, the monitoring of the environment in the sea, or the search for gas and oil under water. Research results are applicable in all industrial areas where the processing of vague and changing data in real time must be realized.
The second field is telecooperation which looks into the possibilities provided by the emerging high-speed network technology and new ways for creative minds to use this technology in research and cooperation.
- From here on, you may have a look on more introductory texts and pictures of our research, or you may go for the real stuff and continue the trip with reading some of our publications. If you wonder whether we could solve one of your problems too, the applications potentials could give some hints. What's up in our laboratory can be checked on our events page. More impressions about the laboratory itself, its inhabitants, or its resources are also available. If you have decided by now to get more details or plan to visit us check out how to reach us. ... and if you start getting confused about all this information, relax with some stimulating citations from writers of different centuries, but on the same topic: Autonomous Systems.
- (Christfried Webers & Uwe R. Zimmer)
Search our site and sourroundings daily (down now)
... and perhaps our European mirror is more convenient for you (outdated)
Last site update: Thursday, January 10, 2002 (contact editors)